We aim to promote safety and independence in:
- Managing self care tasks – e.g. showering, toileting, dressing, grooming
- Performing household tasks – e.g. cleaning, cooking, laundry
- Participating in community activities – e.g. shopping, banking, public transport, social groups
Do any of these sentences below sound familiar? If so, we can help.
- “I’m worried about my ability to stay living independently in my own home”
- “I feel unsteady on my feet and worry I might fall”
- “I find it more difficult to go to my local shops for banking or shopping”
- “I’m finding some tasks really difficult to manage”
How can Occupational Therapy help?
- Individualised assessment and discussion with you to assist in finding possible solutions
- Education in alternate ways of completing tasks; relaxation strategies
- Providing carers with education and information
- Assessing your home for safety issues and possible trip hazards
- Recommending aids to make everyday tasks easier and safer. e.g. bath seats, shower stools
- Improving community access such as assessing the use of wheelchairs and motorized scooters
- Recommending modifications to your home to enable you to stay at home. e.g. rails, bathroom alteration, ramps and platform steps
- Linking you to other health professionals or services
- Where eligible, assisting with application to funding schemes for home modifications or equipment
What can I expect?
- We will have a conversation with you in your own home to better understand your health needs, your concerns and your priorities. This assessment usually takes approximately 1 hour.
- Our main concern is your safety and independence.
- We may ask you to show us how you get in/out of the shower, on and off the toilet, in/out of bed to understand why these tasks have become more difficult.
Clients who live in the Kingston area who are:
- 65 years and over
- Younger adults receiving a disability pension
Generally, fees are $15 per session or $10 per session for Health Care Card and Pension Card holders.
Fees are set in line with our Client Fees Policy. Fees contribute to the cost of providing and sustaining quality health services. No client will be denied a service because of an inability to pay.
Book an appointment
To book an appointment or for more information, please phone.